AGL Case Study
Cooper Basin, South Australia
- PV: 90-120kW
- Battery storage: 100-200kWh
- Inverter: 22.5kW, 3Phase
Proudly Australian, AGL is a leading integrated essential service provider, with a proud 184-year history of innovation and a passionate belief in progress – human and technological.
They deliver 3.95 million gas, electricity, and telecommunications services to residential, small, and large businesses, and wholesale customers across Australia.
They operate Australia’s largest electricity generation portfolio, with an operating generation capacity of 11,208 MW, which accounts for approximately 20% of the total generation capacity within Australia’s National Electricity Market.
AGL’s power generation portfolio is diverse and includes a base, peaking, and intermediate generation plants spread across traditional thermal generation, natural gas, oil and storage, and renewable energy sources; from hydro to wind and solar.
AGL engaged Apex Energy to develop, design and commission a cost-effective renewable energy solution for a remote oil and gas infrastructure in remote South Australia.
Remote installation sites have several critical requirements like:
- Maintaining electricity reliability and equipment performance in high dust zones and 50-degree temperatures.
- Maintaining equipment and component life expectancy.
- Equipment needs to be deployed and demobilised without leaving a footprint.
- Installation and commissioning need to follow strict safety, environmental, and quality regulations and compliance.
- Access and mobilisation of human and equipment resources to remote sites.
The BESS solution is Apex Energy’s state-of-the-art containerised battery energy storage unit.
- Suitable for a wide range of applications including off-grid, emergency backup power, energy stabilisation, energy shifting, load shaving, and frequency response.
- Designed to be ‘plug and play’, BESS ensures swift installation and provides peace of mind. Apex Energy monitoring portal helps customers to keep an eye on multiple systems from a single location.
- The system has minimal single points of failure and can still perform if there are errors or issues within parts of the system. This means that power uptime is increased and the need for rapid servicing should arise is reduced.
- Fitted with high R rating insulation and active cooling, BESS ensures the sensitive electrical and battery equipment remains safe while operating at high temperatures.